By Melanie Rodrigue, Technical Manager, Support
and Michael Tavares, Technical Support Manager, IP Products
Successful AVoIP Installs Start with a Properly Configured Network
We have established a reputation for making AVoIP and SDVoE products that are famously easy to install via the ZyPer Management Platform and require little to no programming. That said, it is important to note that the deployment process isn’t strictly “plug and play” for these devices.
The first step to completing a successful AV project is to make sure the network (either 1Gb or 10Gb) you are looking to connect to is configured properly to support AV traffic.
Next, you must confirm that the network can support multicast communications. Some network switches will come pre-configured to support multicast and AV traffic while other switches will need to be manually configured.
Below is a short list of additional basic requirements/settings to keep in mind regarding network configuration:
- Enable IGMP Snooping
- Enable IGMP Snooping on VLAN used by ZyPer4K system when all ports default to VLAN used by ZyPer4K system
- Filter/Drop unregistered Multicast traffic (If not applied, the behavior of the switch will be to broadcast multicast packets if the switch has no known destination for that packet. Must be enabled if found.)
- Disable any unregistered multicast flooding found (Cisco switches – No IP IGMP Snooping TCN Flood)
- Enable any unregistered multicast found
- Disable IGMP Query (Except on Cisco switches)
- Disable IGMP Query on VLAN used by ZyPer4K system Revision: 20220408
- Set IGMP Version to IGMP V2 (if found)
- Enable FASTLEAVE on port X (if found)
- Enable FASTLEAVE for VLAN used by ZyPer4K system (if found)
- Disable Multicast Storm Control on Netgear switches.
- Enable or set Jumbo Frame or (Frame Size) to 9000 bytes or larger (Not required for ZyPer4K)
- Enable IGMP Report Flood Mode (if found)
More specific network configuration details can be found in the detailed network requirement documents for the ZyPer4K and ZyPerUHD. Beyond that, our technical support team is always here for you at email@example.com.